Monday, May 7, 2012

New Music: Richard Raw - Raise Your Fist  

0 comments


Life tends to feed us obstacles, but how we handle those obstacles helps to shape who we truly are. I wrote/produced/recorded this song "Raise Your First" in 2006 during a very turbulent period of my life. Through all of the adversity i just kept replaying the revolutionary slogan of the 1960's in my mind "Raise Your Fist" and keep on pushing. My uncles stopped by the studio that night, and started playing some oldies but goodies. My mood shifted as they started singing and dancing to this song entitled "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" by the SPINNERS. The song inspired me to create "Raise Your Fist" by sampling the music from The SPinners and using it as a way to vent my frustrations.

Chorus
We shall survive, no matter how rough the ride,
At the bottom but we gone rise just look at I, and raise your first, everybody just raise your first.

Verse 1
Tell them to check their logic, no disrespect but I need a check not direct deposit,
Not the woods, we camp in the slums,
Not the Huxstables our life more was like good times and Sanford and Sons,
Not the wealthy, rather lamp with the bums,
Head perched to the stars like father why you never answer your sons?
And from pamper to guns its true,
You were put here to protect us, but who protects us from?
And we haven’t a clue, saying this is my last,
Screaming to the bartender, yo fill up my glass
Got my check cashed spent half just on gas,
As time flash we’ve been down but how long will it last?

Chorus

Verse 2
I ain’t lying to please they can’t come back, that’s fine I’ve been dying to leave,
As many love me is as many respite me,
Make a couple dollars and they claim to dislike me,
I’m a product of hope, far from a gangster but I can turn to one if I’m provoked,
A pint of gold a double deuce,
I hit the strip late night burners tucked in the lining of the bubble goose,
This is true rap, roaches up on the ceiling,
Mice trying to escape from off of the glue trap,
Look how they use rap, they just abuse rap,
I use to know them, now I’m looking like who is that?
Chorus

Verse 3
We can’t make it with a 12 cent raise,
Pleading with the landlord like please only 5 more days
I went from, Braids to a Fade, from a Fade back to the Braids,
Momma claiming it’s only a phase,
I’ve got the hood on my shoulders, the world on my back,
The game on my tongue, the truth in my molars,
And I’m the youngest but I act like the oldest,
How we knew it’s a mystery cause nobody told us,
We used to fight to get notice, begging for attention but still, nobody would hold us,
Its was hard, but that’s how Mom and Pop would mould us,
I’ve got Jehovah lingering over my shoulders,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories